いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Valentine etegami

Oh how the days fly by!  Since I last wrote, I have painted a couple of dozen etegami and am loving it.  Every day I see such wonderful and amazing things and thoughts fill my mind. Like this little anole that sits outside of our breakfast area window. Or sits right on the sill of said window.  He does two things. First and foremost he catches and eats lots of mosquitoes for which we are quite grateful. Secondly, he puffs up his bright red dewlap (throat fan) to attract a female, I assume. It is quite something to see.  As if he is saying "pick me, pick me". Someone who saw this thought I was making a play on Grey's Anatomy where Meredith says to Derek "Pick me, choose me, love me." Oh well. Doesn't matter now because Derek is dead. Sigh

my guitar gently weeps etegami

When the father of one of my son's best friend and rock n'roll band mate died, I had to think long and hard on how to portray that in a picture.  The dad was apparently an incredible guitar player and did surely pass that talent on to his son.  This is a quote from the Beatle's George Harrison and seemed to express beautifully what a musician might be feeling: that every part of him, including his guitar, is gently weeping. The tears are also the same shape as a pick.

lotus etegami

A friend is experiencing a very difficult time with traumatic brain injury.  It gets better, it gets worse.  At this point, the progression is mostly in deterioration. I hope she finds hope in the idea that each morning we are born again.  Each day we can hope anew for a better day and improvement.  Apparently, the lotus flower closes up each night and opens again each morning.  Lovely symbolism.

No comments:

Post a Comment