いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015



Children's Day

koinobori etegami


 May 5 is Children's Day in Japan. 子供の日. It is traditional to fly koinobori, big carp wind socks, on a flagpole outside one's house.  The top blue represents dad, second red represents mom and then the smaller ones following are the children, also in blues/greens for sons and red/orange/pinks for daughters.  I was thinking that if we were flying koi for my family, my brother would be missing. He died of AIDS at the height of the epidemic in the 1990s. I still miss him and I imagine his spirit flying where his koi should be.  I tried it two different ways. I think I like the one on top better, where he has broken loose but is not totally gone.


koinobori etegami

No comments:

Post a Comment