いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Painting a Cat


moshi moshi etegami
Lynn Cooper somewhat challenged me to paint her cat Mochi. Here is my attempt.
 The Japanese "もちもちあのねこ” (mochi mochi anoneko) is a play on the way you
 answer a phone "もしもしあのね”(moshi moshi anone).
 The play on words is the cat's name Mochi (twice) and then "That Cat" (ano neko). 
But lest anyone think my first attempt was as good as that, it wasn't.

Here was my first attempt

Gentlemen cat etegami
A rather cartoony, smug looking cat.  But instead of throwing it away (I was tempted), I instead found a perfect quote for a smug cat.  Someone might enjoy it. I need to work on spacing my words.  That is an art in itself!

And then my next attempt involved more bleed but instead totally bled out!!

mysterious cat etegami

But the result was a very mysterious looking cat.
  The words got all bled out and unreadable so I used a technique I learned 
from Debbie Davidson's blog, just cut out what is still good and make a collage
.  And finding the perfect words to attach to it , voila!
  This one is now on it's way to Italy to a cat fancier.

The last kitty I painted is totally different.  My friend moved into a new apartment and got a new kitty as well.  This beautiful saying fit both scenarios and I do hope she enjoyed her welcoming card.
cat coming home etegami







No comments:

Post a Comment