いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Japanese theme etegami

An acquaintance from Japan was running a restaurant in New York City.
It was called Yasha Ramen.
Yasha 夜叉 やしゃ. TRANSLATION: yaksha; demon gods from Buddhist cosmology

 She asked if I would paint some etegami and she would put them on the wall of the restaurant and sell them for me.
I was thrilled and began painting many Japanese themed etegami


You cannot tell by looking at this one but I used gold paint to make it quite metallic.
There are not many quotes about demons which are positive,
but this one by Andrea Bolt is perfect, I think!
Lisa Jastram etegami

Again I used gold on this demon mask. The saying is "feed your demon".
I added the "preferably ramen" because it would be in a ramen restaurant :)


Lisa Jastram etegami


I used the sharpened chopstick to make the details in this ramen.
The blobs that result from that add interest to the picture.


Lisa Jastram etegami


Painted this kokeshi doll
and found such a beautiful saying to go with it.
I have felt this way several times in life when I just wanted to sleep and sleep.
But when I finally woke up, I was ready to move mountains

Lisa Jastram etegami

This cute little kokeshi caught my eye
She is not svelte nor exotically beautiful.
But Eleanor Roosevelt reminds us of what true beauty is.
Lisa Jastram etegami

In true etegami, you accept your paintings, warts and all.
Even if you make a "mistake", it should be part of your art.
Well, this little girl ended up with a ridiculous eyebrow due to the
blobbing of the chopstick technique. but it certainly draws attention to her eyes!
Lisa jastram etegami

On a sad note, the restaurant was shut down due to a gas leak and has never re-opened.
I had the etegami ready to send but never were they to be hung on the walls in NYC.
Those bare walls would have been a lovely place for etegami.Sigh








No comments:

Post a Comment