いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Happy Hippos

It all started with a photo of a hippo mama and her baby.
I loved the joy between the mama and baby.
Then, at a restaurant, my grown up son (34 yrs old)
gave me a new gnome for my garden:
a gnome with a bare butt burrowing into the ground.
For some reason, it made me laugh and laugh and laugh
til I almost cried

And I thought, how delightful that my son can still make me laugh!


Lisa Jastram etegami

I used more of a dabbing technique which gives the skin a little more texture, I think.

After posting it on Facebook, a friend from Hutto, TX remarked that her town was the only town in the USA to have the hippo as a mascot and she loved the painting.
This made me want to paint more hippos!!

Of course, I thought of Ogden Nash's famous hippo poem.
Barely fit, but there it is
Lisa Jastram etegami

And then, I thought to make another painting where the Hippo is the mascot for Hutto.
Little H's coming out of his mouth seemed to work nicely.

hippo etegami Lisa jastram



But the story doesn't end there.
I mailed them off to Hutto and unfortunately, there was postage due.
My friend didn't get to the post office on time so the letter was sent back.
I waited and waited and waited ( almost a month).
So I decided to repaint both etegami.

I've never attempted to re-paint but it turns out 
that it is a lot easier than the initial painting.
But there definitely are differences.

Lisa Jastram etegami

My Hutto friend ended up getting all four since the wayward envelope finally came back .
I figured no one else would need a Hutto Hippo etegami :)


Lisa Jastram etegami






No comments:

Post a Comment