いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Schönenwerd, Switzerland

At Home with Family

 in Schönenwerd, Switzerland

Lisa Jastram etegami

Although the food on the Viking Cruise was excellent, there is no more delicious and satisfying food than what someone has prepared with love just for you. 
 The love is pressed into the food. 
  I had a hard time figuring out how to paint bread.
 This was my third attempt and I love how it turned out. Can almost smell it!



Once we arrived in Schönenwerd to the home of my second cousin Jöerg and his wife Renata's home, we were treated to delicious home-baked and homemade meals.  This bread was so absolutely beautiful, I just had to paint it.


I have been fortunate to visit this beautiful Swiss household several times during my life.  The first time was 1963 as we traveled back to the United States for furlough. that's me and Paulette on the left. Jöerg is standing behind my little brother David (in the cute red sweater.) We didn't speak each other's language at the time but apparently played together well anyway. (That's Elisabeth, Jöerg's sister, squatting). The three adults are my mom (left), Johanna (my grandfather's sister), and Ida (E & J's mother).


This is the house that's been in the family for many generations. We are standing in the beautiful garden that has vegetables and flowers. There is a pear tree and an apple tree as well.  In the past, it has been a house with three generations living in it. 
We were fortunate to have the whole third floor to ourselves. Such luxury!


The door from a local farm was rescued and is used for a basement door.
It is inscribed "1770" above the door. 
That's not a house number. It's a year! Wow!

fruit etegami

Loved this pear tree that grows up right up against the wall!
Was so sad to discover they had to cut down the cherry tree that I remembered so well from our first visit in 1963.


Paulette, Lisa, Renata and Isabelle(Renata's daughter)


At dinner, we finally had a bottle of wine that Jöerg had promised "next time you come" way back in 1992! When he opened it, he made a face, like maybe it wasn't any good.
But, it was. But then we had another bottle of wine and another...
and a very good time!



No comments:

Post a Comment