いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Japanese themed etegami

 One of my new friends (via FacebooK) from high school in Japan owns a Ramen Shop in New York City: Rasha Ramen ( http://yasharamen.com/).  She has offered to exhibit and maybe sell (if anyone is interested) my etegami in her restaurant. I decided to take her up on her offer and started painting Japanese themed etegami. 
Japanese demon etegami

After I painted this rasha demon, finding the right words for it was quite a challenge. What I ultimately found was perfect "Turn your demons into art"

hannya mask etegami

This one is just for fun :)
speaks with her eyes
This is one of my mother's kokeshi (wooden) dolls.
I used a sharpened chopstick to draw the eyes and ended up 
with a big blob on her eyebrows. 
 But there are no mistakes so I imagine this just gives her character!!

etegami girl

I actually painted this for my first babysitter who babysat me in 1957 in Phoenix, AZ.
She was a Japanese war bride and a member of my parent's congregation.
We recently visited her in Phoenix and she gave us a most beautiful fabric sculptured doll for "our future grandchild" .  If and when.
 I did an etegami of the girl thinking how I was a little girl when she babysat me
and still feel like a little girl when I am with my aging babysitter!

Red head

This red-headed kabuki actor was painted for my red-headed childhood friend.
She loved it!

Get well

I have a friend who struggles with the idea of prayer.  Who do we pray to? Does it make a difference? I struggle, too.  So, now that he is facing cancer yet again, I thought I could send him all forms of healing using the Japanese good luck talisman, the Maneki Neko.
This painting has all kinds of "mistakes" on it, but in the true spirit of etegami, it lives on.

Let her sleep

Another one of my mother's kokeshi. I will be giving a lot of these away some day (My house is already filled to the brim with Japanese things) so painting these will allow me to keep them and give them away.
she will be beautiful

This kokeshi doll has a very plain face, plain haircut, but is beautiful.
I absolutely loved Eleanor Roosevelt's word to go with it!


Ramen comfort food

Thought I'd better paint a bowl of ramen for a Ramen restaurant.
Used the sharpened chopstick technique which is why you see blobs here an there.
The ink is not controlled but that adds the character

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Etegami, original, and creative..
    I live in Japan and also create Etegami.
    Good luck with your show/sales in the ramen shop!

    ReplyDelete