いらつしゃいませ!!

In Japan, when you enter a store or a restaurant or a home, the hosts will call out "いらつしゃいませ!"(Ira'shaimase), which means something like "Welcome!" "Come on in!" Which is what I say to you, new and old friends, as I share random thoughts and creations to whomever is interested.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 6: Kehl, Germany

Kehl, Germany

In order to visit Strasbourg, France, we had to dock in Kehl, Germany, just across the Rhine.  I truly felt a spirit of reconciliation and brotherhood in this place as both cities have endured takeover after takeover by each other's country.  
An evening walk in Kehl revealed some beautiful images of peace.


This statue utterly captivated me.  Two persons in a moment of coming together.




There was also a most beautiful pedestrian bridge of friendship and understanding.
The NATO summit held in April of 2009 began on the Passerelle pedestrian bridge and President Obama and other leaders walked across it.
My bridge got very wobbly but that is OK in etegami.
I may also have been unconsciously symbolizing the shaky nature of peace treaties.  Ha.
(Or maybe I shouldn't drink wine whilst painting- just kidding)



A pretty mighty pedestrian bridge!!
Lit up beautifully at night.


We took a nice long walk around Kehl and found this lookout tower quite by accident. I am acrophobic so did not climb it, but Dave went up and took some great panoramic photos.  The main support logs on this tower were each one complete very long tree poles.  Most amazing!


France on the right, Germany on the left




And in the evening, one more chance to celebrate our 36th anniversary.
I love the guy behind us covering his eyes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment